Skip to main content

LogoNew3

 

                                                                 

 

History of 502 N Kentucky St McKinney Texas 75069 also  “Wilson House”

The “Wilson House”  is built upon land referred to as "the  Original Donation" -120 acres donated by William Davis for the creation of the Town of McKinney. In 1849, William Davis, Along with his Wife Margaret, donated 120 acres  to the county commissioners. At the time, he had considered this acreage to be of least valuable land because of heavy brush in the area. This 120 acres became known as the McKinney Original Donation and was divided into 87 blocks which were to be sold to finance the city of McKinney. Since its establishment in 1849, "McKinney served as the principal commercial center for the county. The county seat provided farmers with flour, corn, and cotton mills, cotton gins, a cotton compress and cottonseed oil mill, as well as banks, churches, schools, newspapers, and, from the 1880s, an opera house. Businesses also came to include a textile mill, an ice company, a large dairy, and a garment-manufacturing company. Farmers and manufacturers were able to ship their goods on the Houston and Texas Central Railway, which reached McKinney in 1872, and, beginning in 1881, on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad.

 J M. Easter bought the property from William Davis in a sheriff sale in January of 1853. He paid $45 for lots 250 & 251.  James H. Ball purchased both lots from Samuel T. Henry in 1892 and built a house on it. This was confirmed on the 1892 Sanborn Maps showing the original house floor plan and the release of home building loan   in the deed from McKinney Loan & Savings in 1897. The The population of McKinney was just under 2,500 during that time and over next 2 decades it would more than triple. Property was a safe and measurable form of wealth many preferred to save. This Folk Victorian style house was originally a one-room structure and was modest at that time. This house, while not one of the grand homes of high architectural style, is significant. It is representative of the modest homes in which the average family lived built with materials and techniques available prior to railroad service being established in McKinney. There were no significant changes made to the home and was common to change several ownerships at that time.  H.H. Bass bought the house from W.E. Ditto in February of 1915.  H. H Bass was prominent in business and worked at Matthews Dry Goods Company of McKinney. He lived in the single bedroom house along with his wife. He sold the north half of lot 251 to J. Frank Smith in 1918 which was empty and did not have house constructed on that part. Later he sells his House and the second half of lot 251 to Etta Wilson in 1923 and moved to Oklahoma due to early demise of his wife.

Etta Wilson was known to move from the countryside after death of her husband T. B. Wilson along with her daughter Estella Wilson. Her son Add G. Wilson was not known to live in the house based on the Census records. Add G. Wilson was a former city commissioner of McKinney, a former president of the Central State Bank. Based on the Sanborn Map of 1927 and rental ads of that period, the Wilson House was updated, and 2 rooms added with 2nd story in the back connecting to the main bathroom. This addition also had a separate entrance opening to the Walker Street, which may have provided source of rental income based on the new clippings for room and board rental ads. Given the close proximity to McKinney Town Square, made the house location a very suitable place to rent. Etta Wilson lives in the house until her death in 1936 after which it is known to have been a rental house for next 2 decades until her daughter Pauline moves back from California to live in her hometown McKinney. Pauline lives in the property for 10 years until she passes away in 1966. It may have gone back to being a rental property until 1980 when the house was sold by Wilson family.

The House had several owners after 1980 with minimal changes made, with most recent owners Mr. and Ms. Knox, owning the house from 2005 to 2018, added addition to the property in the back in 2015 while keeping the same architectural style. All of the previous owners have continued to maintain the historic significance of the property with changes not affecting the Historic nature of the property. Apart from several external features, the flooring in the main living room, bedroom and upstairs are still the original hardwood flooring and the bathtub in the master bath which is the antique cast iron is also from early 19th century. We as new owners plan to continue and preserve the historic nature of the property. Our current plan is to gradually restore the existing windows some of which need minor updates to make them functional.  Other changes planned would be purely cosmetic but will be in long term such as updating the bathroom, kitchen and updating walls which have cracks due to shifting of the house with original Pier and Beam foundation.

 The Wilson House has been preserved for over 130 years and well documented. It represents an excellent example of Folk Victorian architectural style with modest nature even till today. We plan to continue to maintain and preserve the historic nature of the property for future generations.

Alterations : Changes or modifications made to the property throughout its history.

Based upon examination of this property, “The Wilson House” was originally a one-room single storied structure.  The Sanborn maps of 1892 to 1914 (attached in section F) shows one room floor plan with single story structure. Based upon Sanborn maps of 1927 (attached in section F), it appears that at some point prior to 1927, an addition to the east side of the building was made with 2 rooms and 2 Stories. It also shows the front of house as 1 ½ storied indicating a room addition in the front on the attic which is still seen today. This was also confirmed by the   Rent- listing in the Courier-Gazette (McKinney, Texas) in 1922 and 1923 as shown below:

History1.pnghistory_2.png

The windows of this addition are slightly different from the original house (both still unchanged today)  and floor level of the addition is also slightly lower than the main house. There was an addition of Bathroom upstairs, but it is not known if the bathroom addition was at the time rooms were added prior to 1927 or at a later time.  The history of any additional renovations/additions prior to the work performed in 2015 is not known. Based on the tax records additional extension of 170 Sqft external room/studio was made in 1990.  The 2015 addition per the city permit records was made by previous owners which added single bedroom apartment with access to personal studio and garage downstairs. The addition continues to maintain the architecture style of the original home and has an original door from 1940s for studio downstairs. Here are few other observations on the general alterations:

Roof:  The original roofing material is unknown  and new composite shingles roofing was done in 2018 when we purchased the house.  Rest of the roof appears to be with original construction material.

Foundation: The original foundation was block and beam supported by bois d'arc blocks . Some of the blocks have now been replaced with concrete piers, but you can still see some of the Beams supported by bois d’arc blocks.

Framing/Layout: Minimal changes were made to the original framing of the main house. The rafters and ceiling joists are likely reinforced to meet current code.  

Windows: Most of the windows in the property have been original windows with newer additions including new windows of similar style.

Fireplace:  It was known the house originally had fireplace but based on some incidents on fires in McKinney area it was removed when it became mainly a rental property post 1938. This cannot be validated in any records but look through the house construction in the attic, there are signs of original fireplace chimney that has been removed.

Siding: Due to lack of Historical Pictures, the original siding is unknown. The existing siding looks like it was updated during the major renovation in 1990

B. Historical Figures/ Historical Information about individuals who are associated with the property.

Historic3.png

T B Wilson: 1840-1913:

Henrietta Wilson (wife of T.B Wilson):1856-1936:

Thomas Benton Wilson was born in Tennessee and came to Collin County with his parents in 1849. He had only the meager education obtained in the rural schools, but he had great natural ability, so with application he became proficient in mathematics and surveying. In 1861 he joined the Confederate Army but was later given a medical discharge. He and two of his brothers then engaged in farming, stock raising, and freighting. In 1869 he was a deputy sheriff under his brother George. In 1870 Governor E.J. Davis appointed him county surveyor of Collin County, to which position he was later elected five times, serving until 1882.

Always a good businessman, he was one of the organizers of a private bank which is now the Collin County National Bank. He served as a director from the time of its organization until his

death. In 1908 he owned 5,000 acres of land and ordered the state of Texas 460 acres as a site for an A&M College, but this state school was located in Lubbock. On Dec. 4, 1883, he married Henrietta Estes. A son, Add G. Wilson was a former city commissioner of McKinney, a former president of the Central State Bank.

Henrietta “ Etta”  Wilson  was a  Collin County native and lived in the property from 1923-1936. She was born  in the White’s Grove community about four miles southwest of McKinney in in 1856. She was a key member of the First Methodist church in McKinney since  her  early childhood. She was one of the Best known and most highly respected women in the Collin County possessing a multitude friends.

Historic4.png

William  Ernest Ditto:1864-1929
W. E. Ditto a native of Kentucky was born August 15, 1862.  He was one of the McKinney’s most widely known and prominent merchants and Businessmen. In 1882 at the age of 20, he felt the call to the west and landed in McKinney. He first worked for the grocery store of Kurtsinger & Lewis about four years, then located in Fort Worth and traveled for Armstrong & Co, of Dallas with West Texas as his trade Territory. After travelling for this firm for a year, he returned to McKinney forming a partnership with Henry Lewis in the grocery business, in the firm of Lewis & Ditto.  He acquired the interest of Mr. Lewis in 1896 and continued the same for a number of years. He was in the grocery business for nearly 40 years with couple of stores in McKinney and another at Kaufman. He was a business man invested in multiple  real estate properties in the county and McKinney city, farming, raising and dealing in live stock and several years represented the Federal Land bank of Houston at McKinney until 1928.

Historic5.pngHistoricclip Historicclip2

 

C. Property Ownership

Legal description of property with a location map as well as a list all known owners of the property.

Date

Seller

Buyer

Vol/Bokk

Notes

1/1853

William Davis, Sheriff Sale

J.M. Easters

F/498

$45 for lot 250&251

8/23/1853

J.M. Easters

R.A. Smith

G/147 G/186

 

2/15/1854

R.A. Smith

A.J. Hall

G/187 H/129

 

10/26/1854

A.J. Hall

John Hanes

H/130

$199 for lots 250&251

11/19/1855

John Hanes

Robert L. Waddill

J/48

 

1/3/1857

Robert L. Waddill

John A. Durrett

J/611

 

1/1/1859

John A. Durrett

John Henre

M/71

 

1/1892

A.G. Henry, Sheriff sale

Samuel T. Henry

53/332

 

3/18/1892

Samuel T. Henry

James H. Ball

53/385

$166 cnsh, $166 note,

10/9/1897

McKinney Loan & Savings

James H. Ball

107/107

release of home building loan est. 1892

2/22/1902

Hillary Ball

J.H. Ball

111/567

 

1/19/1910

J.H. Ball

Etta Ball

165/47

$500 plus love and affection

1/28/1915

J.H. & Etta Ball

W.E. Ditto

205/673

$900 casn $1,600 note

2/17/1915

W.E. Ditto

H.H. Bass

189/39

$950 $1,550 note

2/1/1918

H.H. Bass

J. Frank Smith

217/163

$1,200 for north half of 251

12/27/1923

H.H. Bass

Etta Wilson

248/150

$3,100 for south half of 251

6/22/1938

Etta Wilson

Estelle Wilson

317/402

evidence that Estelle inherits from Etta

05/26/1949

Estelle Wilson

Pauline McEntire et al

 

Property transfer to Pauline et al after Estelle’s Death. Pauline lived in the house from 1956-1966

05/04/1966

 Pauline McEntire Et al

Thomas McEntire et al

 

Property transfer to Thomas et al after Pauline’s Death

11/10/1980

Thomas McEntire et al

Joey Joplin

1323/407

others sellers H.A. McEntire, Elizabeth McEntire, Zetta Noe, Pat Mulkey, Frances Wilson, Juanita Shelter

10/14/1981

Joey S. Joplin
Flare Construction

Larry H. Prestien

1440/438

$10 cash, $36,000 note

 

Larry H. Prestien

Chalres Iglinsky

2146/329

$57,000

5/1/1985

Charles Iglinsky

Tom Finley Pearce

CAD

 

6/1/1985

Larry H Prestien

Charles M. Iglinsky

CAD

 

3/1/1981

Flair Construction

Larry H. Prestien

CAD

 

7/7/1992

Tom Finley Pearce

Nationsbanc Mortgage

CAD

 

12/15/1992

National Mortgage

Ann C. Zeman

CAD

 

10/10/1994

Ann C. Zeman

Daniel J. Rogers

CAD

 

6/27/1997

Daniel J. Rogers

Pamella A.Gautreaux

CAD

 

2/10/1999

Pamella A.Gautreaux

Brenda Williams

CAD

 

10/5/2000

Brenda Williams

Clyde M. Gayobo

CAD

 

4/2/2002

Clyde M. Gayobo

BankOne

CAD

 

7/21/2003

BankOne

Frank Friesenhahn

CAD

 

9/15/2003

Frank Friesenhahn

Toby Barker

CAD

 

1/27/2005

Toby Barker

James & Sona Knox

CAD

 

7/20/2018

James & Sona Knox

Mruthyunjaya Shastry & Vijayashree Hiremath

CAD

Current Owners

 

D. Tenant History

The tenant’s history was pulled based on Phone records from Historical directories at McKinney Library. They were considered as tenants when their name did not match the owners, but not really known if they were tenants. In certain situations, the “for rent ads” from the McKinney Courier Gazette indicated the property was rented even with original owners as it talked about separate private entrance in the ads.

Year

Tenants name

Source

1944

Walter C Dirks

The Courier Gazette McKinney

1952-53

R L Myrick

McKinney Telephone Directory

1953-56

J F Alexander

McKinney Telephone Directory

Copies of Sanborn Maps ™ showing the house’s relationship to other homes and the footprint of the house

1892 Sanborn map showing the Wilson House as simple single storied house

Historicclip3Historicclip3 1

 

1897 Sanborn map showing the Wilson House with  Patio addition as main changes from 1892 and still showing as single storied.

 

 

Map & Directions

We are located 2 blocks North of the McKinney Square & Next to the Roy and Helen Hall Public Library at 502 N Kentucky St McKinney Texas 75069. Near  McKinney Dowtown.